Lain's Log

More results

May 24/11.

Big day. Big news. Most of it good.

In the end, decided against that "As Seen On TV" shirt. (I was really only kidding anyway). I'm constantly finding scribbled notes for the blog all over the house. Discovered a scrap of paper last night on which I'd scrawled, "I REFUSE to go into oncology in black, grey or brown! It HAS to be my favourite colour - MAUVE."

So, out came the feminine new Mexx mauve shirt to lift my spirits, paired with the Hue jeans.

Ready go hear the news!

Half an hour before I had to leave for the appointment with the Medical Oncologist I lost the nerve to go alone and asked my daughter, Kate, if she'd come with me and take notes. Thankfully, she was available and said yes. (after all the years of accompanying MUM on appointments, I can't believe the tables have turned!)

Made it to the Princess Margaret Breast Clinic by 1:30, just in time to be escorted in for a prep meeting with a nurse and the oncologist's "fellow."

They asked a lot of questions and told me things looked pretty good as far as they could see. Then, they left us for a few nail-biting minutes to wait for Dr. Amir, the Medical Oncologist.

My heart was racing while waiting word on the treatment

Dr. Amir spent a long time with me, explaining the case and the risks. He wrote it out for me.

Age - 55 - average - no risk

Tumour size (removed) - 1.5 cm. - (small) - no risk

Grade - (How aggressive the behaviour) - I - (low grade) - no risk

Stage - I

Lymph nodes - Negative - no risk

Receptors - (Proteins on cancer that tell it to grow)
2 Hormones
Estrogen receptor (ER) - 99 percent - Good
Progesterone receptor (PR) - 10 percent - Good

HER 2 - Negative - Good

Can't say I understand every word of the above, but I was informed that it's the best news and it's unlikely I'll need chemo. (which is what I've been SO hoping to hear). However, there is one more test called Oncotype DX. It is very expensive, (but government funded), and involves sending some of the tissue removed during my surgery to a lab in Redwood City, California, (one of the only places this test is being done). It would then take about three weeks to receive results. The test can help define whether chemotherapy should or should not be added to the anti-hormone treatment. I originally turned the test down, but after discussing it with family members, changed my mind and have now asked the doctor to go ahead with it. Better to be safe than sorry.

I've also been given a prescription for Tamoxifen, but won't fill it till after I meet with the radiation oncologist tomorrow afternoon and find out about the schedule, (which probably won't start until June). Also found out about the side effects of Tamoxifen. The biggest one is hot flashes! (Now, I ask you, do I really need any help with that? - I'm hot enough!)

Labels: , , , , ,


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home