Lain's Log

Sacha's shower - Highest highs (and a couple of lows)

May 15/11

My cousin, Sacha, is a very lucky young lady! Her baby shower was a huge success and she received everything a mother-to-be could need to welcome a new little one into the world.

Since I hadn't seen Sacha in a number of weeks, it was surprising how much she'd "grown!" But a more beautiful expectant Mum would be hard to find.

Gorgeous mother-to-be, Sacha with her balloons!


Each guest had their gift placed atop the grand piano. So many pretty, colourful gift bags, boxes and bows. Sacha's parents, Marilyn and Kevan, were the perfect hosts, beaming throughout the festivities, serving lovely food and drinks and delighting in watching, as their daughter opened the extravagant, well-chosen prezzies.

So many lovely gifts!


It was nice to catch up with friends and family, after having lived a rather "sheltered existence," these past two months. Despite the great support of so many family and friends, I've found this time from breast cancer diagnosis to nasty, nerve-wracking procedures, to surgery, to excruciating pain, drugs and recovery, to the great emotion of it all, has been, at times, quite overwhelming and has definitely taken a toll. I SO wanted to be in "party-mode" today, (and tried my best to be), but was feeling shaky, queazy and generally, just out of sorts.

Since this blog started off to be about my journey with breast cancer, I'm continuing this saga to try and tell it like it is - in between "normal living," on days when no appointments or procedures are scheduled). I'm sure some family members are having a tough time figuring out what's going on with me, as I haven't quite been my usual bubbly self. I also have very little appetite and my weight today hit a low of 105. I know food is important to getting better and feeling stronger, but it's sometimes tough to eat when you're feeling down or stressed. Tomorrow, I hope to try to get back to a regimen of small meals throughout the day.

Despite not feeling quite up to par, it was a fabulous party, and from my own personal experiences with baby showers in the past, I know it's a day Sacha will never forget. I was glad to be a part of it.

Sacha opens my baby care-package gift


The Staples/Kiewiet clan - top row: Jan, Marilyn, Bep; bottom row: Sacha, Auntie Ray, Kevan

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At May 17, 2011 at 9:11 p.m. , Blogger Sacha said...

Thank you so much for being part of this special day! I felt very honoured that you came (and stayed!) and partook in all the festivities. I can't even imagine how tiring and overwhelming it must have been, but having you there, with that megawatt smile of yours was much appreciated -- as was the FANTASTIC gift basket (in typical Lainey style -- you totally spoiled me). Love you! xoxo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home