Lain's Log

What up with that??

May 24/11

Couldn't seem to resist breaking out this funny shirt for today. My sister, Carrie, gave it to me years ago (when I was still with Global Television). At the time, I never could bring myself to put it on. Seemed kinda weird. But the further removed I am from TV, the more kick I get out of wearing it! (guess I don't mind "weird" so much anymore!) Once in a while, some old "News at Noon" or "First News" fan will say, "Hey, I remember you!" Mostly they recall my work covering the soaps. (must be tough as a soap reporter these days, since daytime dramas are dropping like flies!) But back then, I was the "Soap Diva"! Since General Hospital has always been my fave, thought I'd wear the shirt - to - (where else?) - the hospital today! Or maybe not. We'll see. Geez, gotta do SOMETHING to lighten the tone of a meeting with a Medical Oncologist!

Just hanging out, trying to be "inconspicuous"! (ya, right)

We DID see fireworks at Withrow Park last night! The rain let up and though the display was a tad more subdued than in past years, lots of friends and neighbours turned out to witness the colour, action and excitement. Among them, my son, Max, and and his adorable girlfriend, Robyn.

Max & Robyn watching (or creating?) fireworks at the park!

Back on May 9th, I wrote a blog entry called, "Raccoons, squirrels and birds, oh my!" I explained how the love of these "critters" was handed down from my grandparents, to my Mum and then to Carrie and me.

Recently, Carrie told me about a mother squirrel who had built a nest on the side of her apartment building wall. Baby squirrels inhabit the nest and she and her son, Lee, were so concerned about how the little ones would eventually be able to make their way down the high wall to the ground below. At the time, I didn't say anything to her, but secretly thought they would figure out a way to adapt - (in the same way I'M trying to adapt to my own current cirumstances).

Yesterday, Carrie sent me an email, telling me the latest in the "squirrely saga!" - in HER words:

"We have squirrels nesting in an apartment window on a lower floor. Lee and I watch them every day, and it has been fascinating. These babies have already figured out how to climb the brick wall -- which was the obstacle Lee and I were the most worried about.

The gang's all here!


"Who YOU lookin' at??"

This morning all 4 baby squirrels and their Mum arrived on MY window sill! They woke me up around 6 a.m. I had to photograph them as they were so cute. They must have "Spiderman-walked" across the vertical brick wall to get to my sill. They sat on the top of my air conditioner.

So just keep being a little squirrel, learning how to climb a giant vertical brick wall -- wondrously figuring it all out!!"

"Yippee ki-yay! I DID it! This is the coolest"!

OK then Carrie! Will do! (You don't suppose these little squirrels are Mum's way of telling us to keep going and fight our way through EVERYTHING, no matter what the friggin' circumstances?) Just wondering.

Next update (later today) - what the oncologist has to say!

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At May 24, 2011 at 3:16 p.m. , Blogger Keithera said...

We are in a balcony apartment - third floor. We have a direct view of a squirrel nest. The little beggar started it last spring. No sighting of him during the winter. But he has been around recently - adding to his little nest.
Or so we thought!
Apparently it was a squatter. The original squirrel showed up today and there was a fight - - leaves flying everywhere! The squatter has been run off, the original squirrel is now rebuilding his nest.
And rummaging thru the potted plants that we left on the balcony.

 
At May 24, 2011 at 7:21 p.m. , Anonymous Elaine Loring said...

Wow Keithera!
Homeless squirrel tries to take up residence in someone else's nest! Amazing! Will have to tell my sister about this! These squirrels aren't called "squirreley" for nothing!
Elaine

 
At May 27, 2011 at 12:11 p.m. , Anonymous Carrie said...

Hard life for these city squirrelies! Our babies are getting big fast, and seem to be roaming about on their own now. It's been fun watching them grow.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home