Lain's Log

Ups and downs

August 5/11.

This no-radiation lifestyle actually gave me some time to get stuff done around the house, for once. Boring stuff like laundry, emptying the dishwasher, sorting thru piles of things and answering emails. Fun.

While reading messages, was so very sad to learn of the passing of former Global TV cameraman Dan Laffey. He died following a one year battle with lung cancer. Couldn't stop crying while looking at the online guest messages from friends and relatives - (and posted one myself). I worked with Dan for many years. A true artist and a terrific friend to one and all. I'm so glad I had the chance to know him and will never forget him. He was not only a cameraman, but also a talented magician and a dedicated teacher. Spoke to several Globalites who talked to me about their own memories. Was particularly touched by comments made by another ex-Global cameraman, Ihor Macijiwsky, who paid tribute to Dan for having been responsible for his own success as a news cameraman since 1977. Click here to read more. My heart goes out to Dan's family in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Dan Laffey - December 4, 1946 - June 13, 2011

Later, had to pull myself together to go to Max's weekly CityArts Toronto Rock Camp concert.


(tough to get a decent band pic!)

As an energetic volunteer at the camp, this week, Max was playing drums for one number (Good Love Is On the Way, by John Mayer), in the "volunteers band." They named themselves, "A Work in Progress."

I had such a blast, watching Max flit from one end of the room to the other, minute by minute, jumping in, to help move equipment on & off the stage, assisting band members and whenever possible, literally hanging out, off the side of the stage, rocking to the music.


Max's band this week - "A Work in Progress".

After the show, doubt you could have found a prouder Mum! However, had to laugh when I saw the shot, with a ball of Kleenex hanging out of my ear! (you HAVE to protect your ears when you hear a show this loud! Max wore his earplugs).


Meanwhile, after the show, visited Shoppers Drug Mart at Broadview & Danforth, and stopped to listen to this man, a busker, playing unusual music. He was really good! The instrument he's playing reminded me of the ones used by the Chinese POWs in the final (2 hour) episode of M*A*S*H, - Goodbye, Farewell & Amen. In it, Major Charles Winchester (David Ogden Stiers) conducts the group and begins to become their friend and mentor.

I gave the musician a toonie. I crossed Danforth to buy something and several people started talking to me about him and his talent. Wish I'd gotten his name.

Cheers!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home