Lain's Log

The Pursuit of Happiness

June 22/12.

If I've learned anything from my amazing Auntie Ray (now 92), it's that we should all pursue what makes us happy, whether it brings us any bucks or not!

Ray with me and my sister, Carrie, taken on Mother's Day.

This past week has disappeared with any number of pursuits, some important, some lofty and some simply for fun, pleasure and my own sanity. Auntie Ray is in hospital dealing with some ailments which are playing havoc with the feelings of the whole family. I visited with her on Wednesday and am hoping she can come home very soon.
All her life, her attitude has always been to do the things you love, before it's too late! And don't ever let anybody stand in your way! I'm TRYING Auntie Ray! But people, roadblocks 


and anvils DO tend to get in the way sometimes. Look out below!!!






Just keep trying to move forward!


My Mum-in-law has faced a few health issues lately too and I've learned plenty from her over the years as well when it comes to speaking up for (and looking after) yourself. In this pic, taken last December at a family party, she made me cry when she gave us each a hamsa, (amulet), to ward off the evil eye. (we can ALL use a handy hamsa these days, don'tcha think?)




The phenomenal George Carlin had his own theories on getting older and living life to the fullest. Here's some of what he had to say before his death, (which was exactly four years ago today -June 22/08).


Learn more about the computer, crafts gardening, whatever. Never let the brain idle. 'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.' And the devil's name is Alzheimer's.

Enjoy the simple things. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.

The tears happen. Endure, grieve and move on. The only person, who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive. 

Surround yourself with what you love , whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge. 

Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help. 

Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, even to the next county; to a foreign country but NOT to where the guilt is.

Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER
:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away.

I've been working on telling those I love how I feel. And in the past few days, have tried to get some balance in my life, looking after myself, (as suggested by my Mum-in-law), getting checked out yet again at Princess Margaret and seeing a couple of docs who said I'm doing OK, but still need to gain weight!


I've tried counteracting stress with running, (finally got up to over three laps again today - more than 1200 metres), 


a little bird watching, 




grocery shopping (what else?),

and finally got the front yard gardening taken care of....long overgrown grass and weeds (above),

now trimmed back and gone!

The only drag is, without them,

we have NO LAWN! Gak! NEXT stop - buying some fast-growing grass seed, since the front yard now looks like a desert!

Also this week, my parents-in-law, Jean & Ben, celebrated their 64-year wedding anniversary! (and they said it wouldn't last! Hoo haw!) CONGRATS!

My sister-in-law, Debbie, gave her Dad a funny gift.


Use it, and then you can say you officially did some exercise!

The other day, my son, Max's band mates, Charles Wilson and Emmett Webb dropped in to do a photo shoot for a picture to be printed in NOW Magazine!

Charles, Emmett & Max

I volunteered to be among the three family & friend photogs to snap a few shots.They wanted a casual look in the den playing video games, reading comic books, eating Shreddies and cookies. Looks very familiar!

Meanwhile, as for me, tried to get in a little rest and relaxation this week in between rushing around like a maniac and

running rampant. Let's see. Where should I go? Take off for Timbuktu? Shuffle off to Buffalo? Hightail it to Kalamazoo? Lose myself in Las Vegas? Who knows?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home