Lain's Log

I'm driving!! (yikes)

May 5/11

Finally decided - time to try and take a drive in my car, after
8 days of staying at home, (only WALKING to Broadview and Danforth a couple of times). It's the longest I've been without wheels, except for our annual one-week visit to Fern Resort each year in August, when Sam does all the driving in a rented van - (in order to cram in the massive amount of luggage required for a "high-maintenance" woman, plus clothing, accessories and extras for the needs of TWO teenage kids!)
Note: You can click on photo to "enlarge!" (hoo haw!)

Finally going for a drive - 8 days after surgery!


Was pretty excited about getting behind the wheel again. For anyone who's interested, I've always had a hard-and-fast pact with myself. Won't drive if I've had even ONE SIP of wine, and also won't drive if I've taken a drug of any nature, even an aspirin. So, after a full day without ANY pain meds, - (despite tons of throbbing), I chose to drive the six blocks to Loblaws and Shoppers and see how it goes. I needed to pick up 12-packs of pop. They were OUT of ALL the pop I needed at the IGA, so Loblaws had to be hit.

I was SO happy to be back in my car. Thought it would be a piece of cake. Wrong. It started OUT that way. Fantastic to have the freedom to drive anywhere. But, pretty soon, I discovered, it was tougher than I had anticipated. My right arm is SO damn sore and numb (from the elbow to the shoulder). Even though I removed the steri-strips under the arm and thought all was well, found out, the pain and numbness is still pretty crazy and intense. While pulling out of the parking lot behind Shoppers, I thought, "Uh-oh, this isn't good." Major pain happening. Drove right home. (Might wait another couple of days before trying THAT again!)

I'm still "intact!"


On the PLUS side, (and I'm being really frank here again - so, don't read, if you don't like the unvarnished truth), - as you may know from past blog entries, I was VERY apprehensive about losing much of my right breast. But, at this point, I've been so happy to see the aesthetic results of my surgeon's breast-conserving therapy. (I specifically wore this chocolate- brown tank top, given to me by my sister-in-law, Carolyn, a few years ago, to prove I'm still "together.") I know things may change when I see Dr. McCready again on Friday May 13th, and get further pathology results, (PLEASE let all be well), but at this moment, I couldn't be more ecstatic about what I've seen after the surgery. I still have a figure. Winning! (Thank you, Charlie Sheen for all your positive - and weird words, - even though, you have NO idea who I am!!)
One gear, one speed - GO!!!!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At February 28, 2012 at 1:41 p.m. , Anonymous Kerstin Shed said...

That's quite great news, yeah? Take your time when driving. Aside from brushing up on your driving skills, your body has to steadily get used to the time and effort spent on driving a car. Soon enough, you'll have a good grasp of the road once more, and operating a car would be easy as pie.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home