Lain's Log

Fasten your seatbelts, it's been a bumpy ride

July 16/12.

It's sometimes difficult to write when life is filled with heavy drama and emotion. A lot of this past week and a half has been taken up with visits to hospitals to see Aunt Ettie (my Mum-in-law's sister), and Auntie Ray (my late Mum's sister and our "surrogate Mother").

Sadly, Ettie Pelchovitz passed away on Sunday July 8th.


I went to Sunnybrook to visit her and her two daughters, Linda and Sharon that afternoon. Just four hours later, we learned she had died. I'm glad I got to say goodbye. She was a lovely lady and I have many fond memories to look back on over the 30 years I knew her. We'll all miss you Auntie Ettie. I'm sending good thoughts to my mother-in-law, Jean Bornstein, who loved Ettie so much.


Have also been visiting Auntie Ray as often as I can 


at Toronto Western Hospital. 


She is such a special part of our family. (left to right, Carrie Loring, Kevan Staples, Ray Staples and me).


A few days before Ettie's passing, we invited Mum and Dad B over for a barbeque dinner. It was fun to have them pay us a visit on a hot summer day. That's my son, Max, greeting them on the sidewalk.


Sam cooked up quite a feast for his parents, (and all of us), barbequing ribs, hotdogs, burgers, chicken, salmon and corn on the cob!




My Dad-in-law, Ben Bornstein enjoyed the ribs, but liked dessert better!

Max and Kate provided the entertainment (here with their significant others, Robyn and Damian). They played The Beatles' Should Have Known Better and their version of Stop This Train, which I love, but it always makes me cry.


Kate also performed her Bubie's favourite original Kate Sloan song, Normal People, (at her special request).


Another day, I visited the Eaton Centre for two great sales.

Hit up The Body Shop for their half price July deal,


to get bottles of my vanilla-scented cream for $6 a bottle instead of $12! Bought three, (which was all they had left!)

Then over to La Senza (where else?) for their semi annual clearance - $3 panties and $6.99 bras!


Didn't expect to run into Max and his girlfriend, Robyn! She happened to be looking for deals at exactly the same time I was. We both walked away with a couple of pretty, lacey/racy items.


Later in the week, my lifelong friend, Joanne, (right) flew in from L.A. for a visit. She wanted to head directly to The Friendly Greek, as always, for a fabulous fresh Greek salad lunch. That's Joanne's sister, Valerie on the left. We've all known each other since we were young teens.


We were also joined by another old friend, Karen (right), who lives blocks from The Friendly Greek. We're all huge fans of their salads! Joanne has taken off for a while to help a pal move from Moncton back home to Toronto, but I'll see her again soon, when she returns later this week.


My week wrapped up with a trip past the old Ontario Place property,

 - so pretty,


and over to the Molson Amphitheatre


to see Alice Cooper in concert. We got there early and had great seats in Row F.

An old high school friend of mine (who prefers to remain anonymous), has known Alice for many years and got an all-access pass. (fun to wear!) This was taken just after 7 p.m. so seats weren't filled up yet, but by 7:30, the place was jammed!

At age 64, Alice still puts on a fabulous, dynamic & exciting show.

He was opening for Iron Maiden,


performing a 50 minute set jammed with everything an Alice fan could ever want!




the infamous snake,

the guillotine and beheading,




giant Frankenstein,

and of course, SCHOOL'S OUT!!!! It's impossible not to sing along! 


SCHOOL'S OUT FOREVER!!


After the show, it was a blast to have the chance to go backstage.


I loved the table cloths made to look like spiders webs!

And the red roses were real.

Alice grabbed a quick shower and changed into red plaid pants and black t-shirt to meet some fans,

including me! I've had the opportunity to interview him several times over the years, but hadn't seen him since the late '90s, so it was beyond great to catch up with him again. He is SO nice. He posed for pics


and signed autographs and couldn't have been any friendlier.  When he signed my son's CD, he asked me, "Is he a musician?" I told him, "Yes, a drummer." He quipped back, "Oh, so he's NOT a musician!"  Ha ha! Max laughed when I repeated the joke for him.

We watched Iron Maiden too, but it was Alice we really went to see!

Thanks to my very private friend for taking me along to the show and allowing me to shoot the pics & use them on the blog. It was a terrific evening and I won't forget it!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home