Lain's Log

Shana Tova!

September 28/11.

Going to my parents-in-laws' place tonight to celebrate the new year. Mum always prepares a fantastic feast! Will be nice to see everyone and share all the delectable goodies including apples, hallah and honey for a sweet year!


I didn't get much accomplished except laundry, cleaning the house a bit, visiting Kevio and going grocery shopping. Bought some flowers, just because I needed them.


Later today, will pick up more flowers to take to the celebration as well as some pop. Not much of a contribution to the festivities, but that's all I've been asked to bring! Plus an extra chair! (The condo doesn't have enough seating for such a big crowd)!

I also met a nice couple outside the LCBO while buying Henkell for Kev (and me!) Their names are Juanita and Michael Fast.

We chatted and they explained to me, Juanita is Cree and Michael is Shuswap. They are engaged to be married soon.

They make beautiful native key chains, bracelets, necklaces, dream catchers and other trinkets out of colourful glass and wooden beads and sell them around town.


I bought a key chain with two bright blue feathers for Kate. (this is her fave shade!) So pretty, she might even find a way to wear it in her hair!


Kate has so many different styles and creates new looks every day!


Naturally, I think she's stunning!


And awesome!


And beautiful!

And a terrific model! (unlike her spazzed out Mum - just scroll down for proof of THAT!! LOL) - Our cat, Tru, looks thrilled here. (not!)

Meanwhile, Kate went for a job interview today. Hope she gets it!
Good luck Sweet!

Oh, and the other day, I was back out in front of Riverdale Park on Broadview Avenue, in my continuing quest to get a good portrait at sunset, with backlit hair.

So far, this one is the best I've managed to get, by sticking the camera on top of my car and taking an auto-shot. I'm using it as my Facebook status pic at the moment.

Another auto-shot attempt

At any rate, I met a young photographer named Mark Fung who was carrying a Nikon camera. We started talking and I asked if he would mind taking a photo using my camera. He agreed and then offered to take a few on his Nikon and email them to me! How cool is that!!! I told him about the blog and my ongoing futile pursuit of getting a decent backlit shot. He very kindly took a series of pics and later, emailed several. Mark is a very good photog, but sadly, I'm no model, - especially on a bad hair day!

Photo by Mark Fung

This one is the best of the bunch. Nice golden backlight Mark! Thanks so much for making me feel special at this outdoor "photo shoot" - "Work with me Baby, work with me!!" It was really fun, - (but NEXT time, I'm bringing a hairdresser)!

P.S.


This is the pic I'm always trying to recreate. Taken by my husband, Sam, on a trip to Mexico in 2007. Sunsets there are stunning, so the backlighting is gorgeous! (Oh, and the Margueritas are great!) Cheers!

P.P.S. - Just got alerted in a message that it was my daughter, KATE who took the pic in Mexico, NOT Sam! (sorry about that!)

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At September 28, 2011 at 5:59 p.m. , Blogger Kate said...

That Mexico photo was taken by me, not dad :P

 
At September 28, 2011 at 11:34 p.m. , Anonymous Elaine Loring said...

Sorry about that sweet! I didn't rememeber it was YOU who took this! I should be giving credit where credit it DUE!
Nice shot!
Mum

 
At September 28, 2011 at 11:35 p.m. , Anonymous Elaine Loring said...

where credit IS due.
Seems I can't SPELL either!!

 
At June 10, 2013 at 9:18 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hubby and I are also huge guess who fans. Although he's 51 and I'm 42, we still have the same musical taste. He remembers buying the gues who's greatest hits in an 8 track. I found the same one on a cd in Corpus Chrisit, Texas when we went on a road trip. We live in Pharr, Texas. Thanks for the inside scoop you have shared about meeting Mr. Cummings....you're a lucky gal!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home