Lain's Log

Fern fun

August 17/11

Kate wrote a really pretty song here at Fern Resort all about missing the love of her life while she's away. Made me cry. It amazes me how she can create such beautiful melodies and lyrics. She recorded the song, put it on youtube and gave me the link to use on the blog. Check it out.



Even though I'm here at this lovely place, I miss people too when I'm away.

My friend, Pam decided to try paintballing, Fern style, complete with the gear! She's braver than me, that's for sure!

Pam and her son, George, played together on the same team.

Making strategic moves behind the haystacks!

Shooting the paint pellets.

Pam's bro, Rod, watched from the sidelines behind this charming mask! (It reminds me of the mask worn by the guy in the 1950's version of The Fly)!!

I watched the paintballing from the safety of the observation cabin! Didn't want to wear one of the wet helmut things out in the field. (wet from being washed they told me, but I mean, come on! - I just washed my hair!! - not gonna smush it down with a wet helmut!!)

Pam treated me to the Fern martini-mixing class, taught by bartender Kyle Zgudziak. Shaken, not stirred.

With Pam and our cocktails. (I only like the Classic Martini, not the fancy schmancy sweet ones!) Kyle says he used Wyborowa vodka from Poland.

Two martini experts in our class, - Sherrin & Reg Ellerton. They took the course last year too!!

Some of the specialty liquors used to mix up the drinks Kyle made, chocolate martinis, (with creme de cocao), Blue Lagoon martinis (with Blue Curacao, Malibu rum and pineapple juice),

and candy apple martinis (with butter ripple schnapps, sourpuss apple and cranberry juice), to perfectly match Pam's nails!

Every year, I like to sit at "Mary Lou's bench". It was put here, in front of one of the most beautiful lakeside spots, in memory of the late Mary Lou Downing, who ran Fern Resort with her husband, Robert. Everyone is welcome to sit here and contemplate life.

Dusk at the lake

A ferret! (I think).

Lakeside Max.

Once again, went with Max to the zipline to ride across the park! Really fun.

Another day at Fern comes to a close. Always a pretty sunset.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At August 21, 2011 at 9:03 p.m. , Blogger CDC said...

glad you seem to be enjoying yourself and drinking in the joys of summer!

and that song your daughter wrote... it was absolutely gorgeous to listen to. stunning.

 
At May 27, 2012 at 10:05 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you enjoyed your stay! x Love it when the guests post such lovely comments such as this--thank you so much. Kate is VERY talented! Hope you come to Fern sometime soon! - Ashley Nelson

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home