Lain's Log

Date night

May 26/11

Can't believe it, but I'm going on a date tonight! Yep.
My friend, Dean Rogers, asked me weeks ago if I'd like to attend the "Absolute Comedy Knight Out" - (buffet dinner and live comedy show), presented by the Northern Secondary School Foundation. (our old high school). I told him, if all was well, I'd go with him.

Dean and I first met as teens at Northern and had several classes together, including drama. Once, we did scenes from A Streetcar Named Desire. Dean played Stanley Kowalski and I was Blanche Dubois! What a riot. He has often referred to me as, "my Blanche."

Over the last few years, we've kept in touch , sharing what he calls, "Mommy stories," during my Mum's illness and death, followed (only months later) by HIS Mum's declining health and then, her death, just a few weeks ago. We've both been through some very sad times. The funeral for his Mum is early next month. Dean says we need a laugh, and I have to agree, so tonight's the night!

If Dean gives permission, I'll post a pic of him at the event later tonight. (we haven't changed a bit, right Dean??)

I'm not all that big on reflecting on the high school days. (as Steve Carrell says in Little Miss Sunshine, "High school - those are your prime suffering years. You don't get better suffering than that". Can't disagree. I flunked just about everything, (except English, music and drama). The teachers were at a complete loss as to what the hell to do with me.

Much preferred being 19! That's when life really changed for the better in a big way! I went to Seneca College, met amazing people and studied things I actually LIKED and excelled at. If not for Seneca, I can't imagine what I would have done! Those intense two years led to decades of work in the media, spanning radio, TV and print.

Still, there were a few good things that came out of "the Northern experience," including meeting and working with Bill and Evelyn Tummon, (greatest music teachers ever born), as well as long-standing friendships with Dean and my other old pal, Jeffrey Morgan.

Well, here's to date night! (Sam, are you jealous?)

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At June 29, 2011 at 9:40 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father was talented and flawed. You met him after he had left his wife, Claire. Her favourite poem was, "How do I love thee, let me count the ways." I wish you all the best, and so would my mother. Fight hard. You'll never walk alone.

 
At January 2, 2012 at 2:30 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elaine, I enjoyed your post. I was at NSS then as well. I had Tummon for music for two years... learned songs I still sing today. I recall Jeff Morgan and his Bob Dylan impression... knockin' on heaven's door. I left without a diploma... and then returned to NSS 17 years later as a teacher! Glad you are surviving C. My sister just had a very similar experience to yours... she is doing well now and has all her hair back.

Jack Brown (now in Dubai)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home