Lain's Log

Davy Jones

February 29/11.

I was so very sad to hear today of the death of Davy Jones at the age of 66.


Hey Hey! I loved Monkee Davy! In fact, I loved them ALL!


This was the first album I ever owned! I still remember when my friend, Pam Gorman, gave it to me at my
11th birthday party. I opened it up, having no clue what LP she would have chosen, and burst into tears with excitement when I saw it was The Monkees first record! I had a tiny little GE record player and this album got played on it hundreds of times till it was worn right down!

Davy was known as "the cute one", and almost everybody's favourite. (as for me, I loved Mickey Dolenz, because I ALWAYS adored the funny guys!) But I DID idolize Davy for his singing voice, gentle nature and signature dance moves, (which I tried to do over & over again, and never could get just right).

 
 The flowing bell bottoms he always wore made the moves look so easy! (My fave parts are at
1:10 and 1:59).

Mickey Dolenz, Peter Tork, Mike "Woolhat" Nesmith, Davy Jones. I couldn't wait to watch them every week.

Even now, I have copies of the 58 episodes and still watch them from time to time on VHS.

I'll never forget seeing them in performance at the old Forum at Ontario Place, (it was a blast),
and while working at Global TV as entertainment reporter, getting the chance to meet and interview Davy and Mickey several times. I remember being saddened by the bitterness Davy lived with from day to day. He told me in our chat that he (and the other lads) should have been much better compensated for their work back in the days of The Monkees. He felt cheated. But those feelings never seemed to come across on stage, when he always had a smile on his face and played to the crowd.



Said to be Davy's last performance of Daydream Believer with the other Monkees, (except for Mike, of course), June 16, 2011. I don't want to believe that sweet singing voice has been silenced.

He remained as handsome as ever till the end of his life. I miss you already Davy.

 
And what teenager in the '70s could ever forget when Davy sang "Girl" on The Brady Bunch??????? Outasite!  And "Marcia Marcia Marcia" was the lucky one to get up close & personal with him!
I ask you, what girl in this universe wouldn't like to hear the man she loves sing THESE lyrics to her?

Girl, look what you've done to me,
Me, and my whole world,
Girl, you brought the sun to me,
With your smile, you did it girl,

I'm telling you girl, something unknown to me,
Makes you what you are,
and what you are is all I could ask for me,
and its good to feel that way girl.

Thank you girl, for making the morning brighter
Girl, for making the night time nicer
Girl, for making a better world for me.

I'm telling you girl, something unknown to me,
Makes you what you are,
and what you are is all that I want for me,
and its good to feel that way girl.

Thank you Girl, for making the morning brighter
Girl, for making the night time nicer
Girl, for making a better world for me.

Thank you Girl, for making the winter warmer
Girl, for making the music softer,
Girl, for making a better world for me.

Thank you Girl, for making the morning brighter
Girl, for making the night time nicer (fades off here)
Girl, for making a better world for me.

 
Marcia Brady (Maureen McCormick) meets Davy! I remember wanting to be Marcia that day!
Sigh.

Thanks for sharing your talent with us Davy. My heart goes out to his wife, four daughters, all his family and friends, - and especially, to the other Monkees, whom I'm sure are very sad today.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At February 29, 2012 at 11:29 p.m. , Anonymous Franelle said...

I was surprised at how upset I've been with the passing of Davy. He and the Monkees were such a big part of my teen years.
I agree, I too saw the bitterness in his later years, but right now it's forgotten. All I can think of is the song they did "Shades of Grey."

 
At February 29, 2012 at 11:47 p.m. , Anonymous Elaine Loring said...

Hey Franelle,
I thought of you the second I heard the news. I remember you on the front of the newspaper, WAY back when, meeting the Monkees! I've been very sad about his death today too. And I sure remember Shades of Grey. Such a pretty song. Glad you got to see Davy in performance in later years!
Love you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home